We are the Snyder family and ... we are different

This is the story of our journey to our daughter in Ethiopia. God is preparing our family for her and preparing her heart to come home to her family. We chose the difficult road of trusting and obeying God. It is worth every step!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

paper work

Today I started working on our actual paperwork. I have most of the forms filled out that I can and wrote a first draft of the letters that need to be submitted. It would be great if I only had to write one draft of the letters, but doubtful. They have to be submitted to AWAA first so that there aren't any mistakes and they can go in our dossier. I need to call our family coordinator tomorrow so we can get our homestudy started. It's something I probably should have done Monday so that we can get the ball rolling. Right now that is one of the things that will take the longest. After that is completed than the waiting will begin. It seems to me that the average wait for a referral is 4-8 months. I'm really hoping we will be closer to 4 months, I won't hold my breath. I also need to get us signed up for the Hague online courses. We both have to have 8 hours of certification for an international adoption. Dustin needs to apply for a passport next week. My goal is to have everything completed so that when the homestudy is done our dossier will also be done and we can get it turned in asap. Many of the documents required for the dossier are also required for the homestudy, so they will be dual purpose. I love it when we can kill two birds with one stone. One of the more fun things I get to do is get some family pictures together. They are preferred on 8x11 cardstock and decorations are allowed. That means I will get to make them like scrapbook pages. Finally something fun and creative that I like to do. I also can't wait to make her a little book about our family and start a scrapbook for her. I think those will be great projects to work on after all this craziness is done and we are just waiting. There will be plenty of adoption down time while we wait for our referral.

If you can't tell today I am little crazy. I have been feeling so unmotivated about life. This adoption seems to be about the only thing that sparks my interest. Clearly with all of the things that I really need to do with the adoption I have not been motivated enough. I have got to get back out and run, it seems to help me stay focused on the many tasks I have to accomplish. This post is sort of informational for me. It's like my to-do-list and it is also to help me for when I post our adoption timeline. People having the timeline on their blogs has been super helpful to me. It gives me a very good idea of what to expect.

So I have a secret about my excitement. The other night I was looking online at cute little comforters and bedrooms decor for a girl. In fact I actually found my favorite. It would match the color of the room already but is still very girly. It's also not too little girly but romantic enough that it could work for a 2 year old or a 12 year old. Since we have no idea how old she will be I want to pick something that can be for a variety of ages. I also want it to go with the aesthetic of the rest of the house. It's so early to be thinking about that but imagining fun things like that help keep the thrill of adopting amidst all the mundane paperwork.

The boys are finally thinking about the adoption now. Dominic included praying for mommy and daddy as we go through the process of adoption. I taught Christian how to say hello in kinyarwandan and he forgot what it was. He asked me how to say hi in his sister's english, i mean language. It was very cute. This was really the first week the boys mentioned it without us talking about it or asking them about it. I think as time goes on they will continue to get more excited about it. We'll have to see what they think about the homestudy. Dominic has to talk to the social worker about his feelings toward the adoption. I'm very unsure of what he'll say. He will probably be much more honest with her than with us.

Well I still have lots of thoughts going on but I will leave those for another day. Probably tomorrow. It seems that all of my posts are filled with 15 different ideas and they all seem very random. I am doubtful that will change. Thank for reading!

0 comments: