We are the Snyder family and ... we are different

This is the story of our journey to our daughter in Ethiopia. God is preparing our family for her and preparing her heart to come home to her family. We chose the difficult road of trusting and obeying God. It is worth every step!

Monday, March 8, 2010

timeline

Dustin has had some growing concerns about the promise of a child after all this money is paid and work is done. I can't say that I blame him because I have those same concerns sometimes. Unfortunately with adoption there are no guarantees of having a child placed. We have fears of being rejected after the homestudy is completed. We have fears of the government denying our paperwork. We have fears that some major tragedy in our world could change it all. You never know what could happen. All we know is that we have to continue to trust in God and let Him stay in control of this. After a week of holding onto the paperwork to start our homestudy and get our family coordinator we made the step and sent it into today. Dustin wrote the check and we're sending it certified mail. whew!

Something that has really helped me and encouraged me is finding other people's blogs about adopting from Rwanda. Most of the ones I have found are even using the same agency as we are or have at the very least mentioned the agency. That makes me feel much better about the agency we picked and that there are other people who either are or have gone through the same things. One of the blogs I read gave a timeline of when everything started, all their paperwork, travel and everything. It was very helpful to see that their paperwork and homestudy didn't really take all that long but the real wait was on the Rwanda government after everything was submitted, 4-6 months. After that the referral only took a couple more months. It seems to take between about 11-15 months from the time they submit an application to the day they bring home their child to the US. That also does not help my problem with impatience :) I work out the timeline and hope by next Easter we will have a little girl in our home. Looking at all the cute little dresses for spring make me long even more, but I know that in God's perfect timing it will all work out for the best.

I asked Dominic what he REALLY thought about the adoption and I don't think that he has much of an opinion about it. He is not excited about having to share a room again but I assured him that it would be another year or so before that even happened. Since he knows it's going to be a while (in kid terms a year is like an eternity) it isn't really affecting him yet. I don't think it will start to feel "real" to either of the boys until after we get a referral and can see a picture of their new sister and know her name. I think it may feel like that for the whole family. It's kinda like in pregnancy when you don't want to get too excited too soon because you never know what's going to happen.

Our family needs prayers that God will provide financially for this adoption. We also need prayers that our homestudy will go alright and be approved. Most of all we need people to support us and love us as we make decisions, sometimes it's hard. thank you

0 comments: