We are the Snyder family and ... we are different

This is the story of our journey to our daughter in Ethiopia. God is preparing our family for her and preparing her heart to come home to her family. We chose the difficult road of trusting and obeying God. It is worth every step!

Sunday, April 25, 2010

break down

Well I broke down and bought something for the "baby". Dustin and I have just started calling her that eventhough we know she won't be a baby, but we still call CJ the baby sometimes and he'll be 5 this July so that's the way we are. My kids' school had a garage sale this weekend that I used as an opportunity to get rid of some stuff and use all the proceeds towards our adoption. I didn't have all that much but my mom and my mother-in-law also donated a couple boxes of stuff. The sale went quite well, I asked for a free will donation and didn't price anything. People were mostly very generous and I also sold a few of the bracelets I made. Anyway, one of the other ladies at the sale had a little kitchen she was selling for $5. It was in perfect condition and I just couldn't pass it up so I brought it home. Dustin knows me too well and asked who it was for. As I tried to dance around who I had bought it for he asked if I bought it for the "baby", of course I had to admit that it was for her and he just smiled. Christian also asked who it was for when we brought it in the house and said, "is that for our sister?" Dustin told him he could play with it and CJ rejected the idea because it's for girls. It's not even a pink one it's actually very neutral and non-gender biased, he's so funny. So one of the other moms I know from school who has adopted two girls from China said it best when we were talking about the process of adoption: shop for hope. Buying things for the promise of a child gives you a sense of hope that they will join your family soon. I am trying very hard not to buy too much because I know it will be at least a year before it will get used. If you are a deal finder though you know that when you find a good one you just can't pass it up because you probably won't find a deal like that again, or at least that's what we tell ourselves:)

So last week not only did we have our first homestudy visit but the kids got their physicals, had to get tb tests and we had our first Rwanda conference call. I already blogged about the homestudy and the physicals but haven't said anything about the conference call. I didn't learn a ton on the conference call but I did get a better more realistic timeline of when to expect things to get done. I was quite ambitious in thinking that we could get a referral by Christmas. Not that we still couldn't but I'm not going to be anticipating it by any means. The wait has gone from 4-7 months for a referral to 7-9 months after the dossier has been received and even after the referral it will still take 2-4 months to travel. So in reality we would be extremely fortunate to travel next March, but more realistically we would probably travel next May or next summer. Now I'm hoping for a wonderful Mother's Day present next year. I also found out that it will take a little longer to submit our dossier than I originally thought. At first I was hoping for June, but we have to have everything approved by our agency, notarized, then sent to the secretary of state to have it authenticated and then sent back to our agency before it gets sent off. So now it's looking more like July before it will get sent off. It will take at least a couple of months before they look at our dossier in Rwanda which then pushes us back to September or October and then another 7 months after that could mean March or April before we get a referral and then June before we actually get to travel. It seems like such a long time but everyone I have talked to says that while you're waiting it seems like forever but once you get them home that time doesn't even matter. Another person pointed out that the waiting is part of God's perfect timing and that he is orchestrating a plan for our family. That definitely makes the waiting easier, I do know that He has a perfect plan for us so I will continue to just wait for it to be revealed. God has also really blessed us recently financially through Dustin at work and continues to bless us through small fundraisers. Imana Ishimwe (praise the lord). We pray that God continues to bless our family so that we can afford to bring home our little girl when the time comes and we also continue to pray for her country, her orphanage and of course for her. I know God is watching over her and preparing her to be a part of our family. Murakoze (thank you)

0 comments: