We are the Snyder family and ... we are different

This is the story of our journey to our daughter in Ethiopia. God is preparing our family for her and preparing her heart to come home to her family. We chose the difficult road of trusting and obeying God. It is worth every step!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

it's been a while

Well I feel like it's been a while since I have updated our blog. It didn't seem like there was much news to report but as I read the last post there have been a couple things that have moved along with the adoption. First, I would like to say that we got approved to use our local homestudy agency thanks to the nice people at America World for letting us. I know that it is there policy but it is so nice to use our local agency and not have to pay for someone to travel down from Cedar Rapids. With that said, I personally dropped off some of our paperwork to the homestudy agency since I didn't realize that had to be turned in before we even start. I figure if I turned it in myself I didn't have to wait for the post office and if there was anything I had forgotten I could just fix it right then. There were a couple of things that I had to fix so I am glad that I went down there. The coordinator down there also needed the contact information for America World to talk to them about the requirements. I haven't heard from them at all yet, I turned it in last Thursday, which is making me a little nervous. Good news is though that I talked to a friend of mine tonight and she said that she had gotten something to fill out from them about them being one of our references. So now I am confused because it seems as if they are moving along with it but we still haven't gotten an appointment for our first meeting. I just want to start this and get it over quickly. I will feel so much better when all this paperwork is done and we are just waiting on a referral. I know I won't be patient about the referral but at the very least it will be out of our hands and it will be so much closer to bringing home our little girl. This is when I have to keep reminding myself that it all comes in His perfect timing and to continue to have faith.

We have gotten a couple more things done. I completed my Hague training today and got the certificate of completion printed out. Dustin also received his birth certificate last week and applied for his passport this week. I finally got my W-2 printed out from Maurices which means we can get our taxes done. Dustin also got his proof of insurance and policy information. The government also changed the I-600A form that needs to be submitted and approved before we can get our child so I have the new form printed out. I emailed our fmaily coordinator some questions about it and she emailed me back some great help with it. I did forget however to ask her if we can submit it now even though our homestudy is not complete. I should have that filled out this week and if we can get it submitted this week that would be even better. I have heard that it can take a couple months for that to get approved. I'm pretty sure we have to be federally fingerprinted for that and I have no idea where we go to get that done. We did get fingerprinted at our local jail for the homestudy but from the sounds of it we will have to be fingerprinted a couple more times. The family that is in Rwanda right now also said that there is a new law and you have to get another background check before you can leave Rwanda with your child. I believe it is an American rule that just came into practice. They are waiting for their clearance from that before they can return home. We are praying that they will make their Friday night flight.

I feel like I have so many questions right now. It actually makes me physically sick to my stomach when I think about all that needs to be done. I just don't want to screw it up. I already have a place in my heart for our little girl and the thought of her having to wait any longer makes my heart ache. I pray for her most every night. I pray that God looks after her and the people taking care of her. I pray for the government officials in Rwanda to have kind hearts and to continue working hard to make a positive difference. I pray for our government that they might not change any of the legalities of adoption unless for the better. I pray to trust God's plan for us. I pray for our children that they may understand the expansion of our family and welcome their sister as if she was always a part of it. I pray for all the other families going through this decision and this process and all the children who are alone and hurting tonight. Dominic said it best tonight that people in America have so much and they are spoiled. He's such a good boy.

0 comments: