We are the Snyder family and ... we are different

This is the story of our journey to our daughter in Ethiopia. God is preparing our family for her and preparing her heart to come home to her family. We chose the difficult road of trusting and obeying God. It is worth every step!

Monday, May 10, 2010

ahhh mother's day

We had such a nice mother's day at the Snyder house yesterday. Well, actually we weren't home most of the day which made it even better. It has been a while since we've gotten to take a day out of town where we didn't have to rush around and hurry home. Dustin took the kids and I to Iowa City where we got to eat at Texas Roadhouse and also went shopping at the mall. It was really a great day of relaxing and hanging out with the family. Thank you to my family for such a wonderful Mother's Day :)

During church while the pastor was talking about how much mothers do for us all and honoring and respecting your mother no matter what type of relationship you have I was hit very hard. Not because I have a bad relationship with my mother (I don't) or because I'm adopted but because of this whole adoption process. My heart literally breaks for our little girl when I think about how I don't get to spend this day with her and she has to spend it in an orphanage. When I told Dustin a little bit about how I was feeling he asked if it was because I just wanted her and I do think that is part of it. He reminded me that hopefully by next Mother's Day we will either have her here or we will be in Rwanda getting her, either way I hope he is right. It was emotionally a very rough day for me. I prayed for her a lot yesterday as well as for our family. My heart breaks when I stop to think about her and I pray that God looks after her and fills her heart with the promise of a forever family.

Adoption is such an act of trust you have to have faith or there is no way you could ever get through it. There are no guarantees in life, but with adoption it seems to take on a whole new level. People who know me probably know that I am a control freak. When you are pregnant you certainly can't control your pregnancy but there are things that you can do within your control that can affect the outcome of your baby and delivery. You can take prenatal vitamins, you can have regular checkups to catch any medical problems, you can also decide what kind of delivery you want to have most of the time. With adoption you can fill out your paperwork in the time that you want, but you don't get to pick and choose what paperwork to do. Then you just have to wait for other people to do their jobs and whether you get a child and what child you get are completely dependent on it. Pray Pray Pray seems to be the only thing I can control. Trusting God is such an awesome experience but at the same time it is soooo hard. I sometimes think it's also scary but when I really think about it trusting Him is not scary because I know that His plan for us is so much greater than anything I could come up with so why be scared. In the last week it has been all about trying to control my emotions. If you ask Dustin how well that's going he would be probably say not very well :) I feel like I keep blogging about the same thing over and over again, trust God. Can you tell I constantly need that reminder?

Pray that our little girl is fille with God's love and His promise of a forever family. Pray that she can feel our hearts connecting to hers and that she is already loved. Pray that I will not have an emotional breakdown and pray for Dustin who has to put up with a sappy wife. Also pray that the other storms in our life right now will work out so we can concentrate on the adoption and move through the process seamlessly. Thanks for reading :)

1 comments:

schrecengostfamily said...

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

You are a strong woman of faith...God knows the desires of your heart. May the Lord of love, peace & comfort fill the emptiness in your heart that yearns for your precious daughter as you rest in the knowledge that He is holding her is His almighty hands. God bless you & Happy (belated) Mother's Day Megan!