We are the Snyder family and ... we are different

This is the story of our journey to our daughter in Ethiopia. God is preparing our family for her and preparing her heart to come home to her family. We chose the difficult road of trusting and obeying God. It is worth every step!

Monday, May 24, 2010

What took you so long?

I was reading a book "Small Town, Big Miracles" about a small town in east Texas that challenged their congregation of 200 members to adopt children in the foster care system. That little town adopted 72 children, amazing! Anyway, one of the stories told in the book was about a little 4 year old boy and the single mom who adopted him. She was trying to convince him that he was home and that she was his "mommy" forever. He looked up and asked her what took her so long? Her reply was that it took her this long to find him. That just made my heart break. That seems to be the question that is on my mind these days. Dominic and I went to see the latest Shrek movie and even in that movie Fiona asks Shrek where was he and what took him so long. It was like a recorder going off in my head again. What took you so long? That's why Mother's day was so hard for me because I kept thinking about our little girl not being here with us. That's why I have been so irritated and frustrated with the police station and the doctor's office. Don't they realize that when they put off doing paperwork I need it just puts her off too? It may only be a few days but sometimes timing is everything. Because the doctor's office didn't get a form notarized then it puts off getting the homestudy approved another week, that delays getting the I600A sent in, that delays getting our approval and getting everything authenticated and submitted to the Rwanda government. Sometimes a week can mean the difference in months down the road because of holidays, vacations and other unexpected events. I don't want her to look at me one day with big soulful brown eyes and ask me that question.

To my little girl:
I'm sorry it took me so long to find you. God had a plan all laid out before us and when the time was right and we were both ready He put us together. Now as a family we don't have to worry anymore because you are home and we will never leave you.
love, your mommy

1 comments:

schrecengostfamily said...

"For I know the plans I have for you' says the Lord..." (Jeremiah 29:11). He has it planned. Although you do not yet, He knows her by name and has it planned for her to join your family at the PERFECT time. Proverbs 3:5-6 reminds us to "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." I know how frustrating it is. We're in the same mess, but hopefully soon everything will fall into place, in a way that only God can orchestrate, and we will travel to bring home our children.