We are the Snyder family and ... we are different

This is the story of our journey to our daughter in Ethiopia. God is preparing our family for her and preparing her heart to come home to her family. We chose the difficult road of trusting and obeying God. It is worth every step!

Monday, July 19, 2010

preparation

This week has been a reflection of how this journey of adoption started so long ago. Even before our oldest was born we always knew we wanted to adopt but our hearts were not ready for it. God put in place many hard lessons for us to learn from. We had to learn what trusting Him really looked like and how it would change our lives. That trust then turned into changing someone else's life and knowing that we can change the world. We would never have been ready for this type of commitment had we not gone through the struggles that we did...marital, financial, emotional, spiritual. All those things put together this plan to change our hearts, how amazing! When I think about what a long road we have already been on I don't get so worried about the road ahead of us. These next few months of waiting are really nothing compared to the years that have already passed. I know I will still be sad, frustrated and impatient but I also know that God has a plan already laid out and if we continue to trust and obey Him then everything will work out in the way He made it.

Recently I have also been struggling with being a good steward of what God gives us. I have felt very guilty about wasting what God has blessed us with. We have talked about doing fund-raisers for our adoption but have decided that we should be able to finance it as long as we are good stewards with what we have (that means better than what we have been doing!). We would still like to fund-raise though for other families that we know who are adopting. Hopefully I will be planning some things coming up this fall. We feel like God is telling us to bless those around us and don't worry about ourselves. He will provide, He already has. In months to come look for t-shirt sales, bakes sales, scrapbook crops and whatever else I may be able to come up with. We want to be a blessing so that more people can adopt and continue to expand God's family.

2 comments:

About Me said...

Scrapbook crop fundraiser. What an awesome idea! (and sounds so fun too!)

Jen said...

Hey Megan -

This was a great post. I loved the picture you painted of how God has been preparing you for this adoption journey all your married lives. It was a great analogy.

I also just want to let you know that I have been reading all of your posts and there is so much I want to say about each one (because I relate to a lot of it!), but I have been too lazy.

We just need to sit down and be able to chat for a good long while! I think Jason and I are coming to Burlington sometime in September. I'll let you know when that will be. Take care. We're praying for you (and your little girl)!