We are the Snyder family and ... we are different

This is the story of our journey to our daughter in Ethiopia. God is preparing our family for her and preparing her heart to come home to her family. We chose the difficult road of trusting and obeying God. It is worth every step!

Sunday, September 5, 2010

I-171H approval received :/

Before school we took a little trip up to Des Moines to get our fingerprints done. If you have followed our blog you'll know that I was sort of frustrated when we had gotten our appointment because it was over 4 weeks away after we had already waited 3 weeks just to get the piece of paper with our appointment on it. Anyway, I have been following many other people's adoption blogs and it seems that USCIS was taking their sweet time sending out the approvals. Most people seemed to be waiting around 2 or 3 months for it. Well we just got ours in the mail yesterday, how crazy is that!?! It was approved 1 week after our fingerprint appointment, wow! Now if this had happened a week ago I would be jumping up and down and so ecstatic that we received it so quickly, but because it came 4 days after the cut off date for Rwanda's adoption processes closing I don't know what kind of reaction to have. I know that there is a reason God didn't want us to make the deadline and that He has an awesome plan in store for us. The problem is I need a manual to lay it all out for me. Can God just send me a "for dummies" book that has the plan spelled out with who, what, where, when and how? I feel like I need a billboard sign from God right now cause I'm so confused.

Well in light of getting our I-171H we thought that we really need to make a decision as to what we're going to do. Are we going to wait for Rwanda, are we switching countries, are we switching agencies, so many questions. We've decided to stick with our agency and switch over to the Ethiopia program. I know there are quite a few other families that will be doing the same thing, but we think it should be around the same wait time as we originally thought Rwanda was going to be. The cost is a little more than Rwanda but it turns out pretty much every other country is. There are several things in our dossier that will need to be changed and we will have to get our I-171H changed to Ethiopia. Hopefully it won't be too much and I'm hoping that USCIS will be just as quick to process the change as they were our original application. God apparently has a bit of a sense of humor also because he sent our approval on the Saturday of a 3 day weekend. I can't get a hold of anyone or do anything with it until Tuesday, God knows I'm a high strung type A personality control freak! So far now I try to calm my heart and relax, which really means me running a lot to help burn off some of this excess craziness going on inside of me.

This is still a bit of an adjustment to switch countries. We had learned so much about Rwanda and become so connected to that country, I feel like we're cheating on it, lol. So now it's time to learn more about Ethiopia and raise awareness about the issues over there. I have been trying to find Ethiopian adoption blogs, stories and videos but my heart still has not caught up to my brain. Perhaps after I talk to our family coordinator and our social worker I will feel more connected and ready to focus on the adoption again. Is it Tuesday yet?