We are the Snyder family and ... we are different

This is the story of our journey to our daughter in Ethiopia. God is preparing our family for her and preparing her heart to come home to her family. We chose the difficult road of trusting and obeying God. It is worth every step!

Friday, September 24, 2010

staying positive

I have heard that if you act with positivity that you will actually trick yourself into being positive. That is my goal with this post tonight. I feel like for the past couple of months all of my posts have been on the verge of sending people off to stab themselves in the neck just to rid themselves of the pain of reading my debbie downer posts. Do you see the positivity yet? jk. Anyway, I thought I would switch it up with something more upbeat.

This week we received 2 out of the 3 reference letters we need, we should get the other one next week sometime. Yay! Since Dustin got home from Atlanta we also got our AWAA agreements all signed and mailed off today. I also dropped off the post placement agreement for our social worker and she possess the speed of light (at least in adoption world) and actually had it signed, notarized and ready to pick up by 4:00 on the same day. Her poor father had a stroke a couple of weeks ago and is going to have surgery next week so we won't be able to meet to finish up our homestudy till at least the week after next, kind of a bummer. On the bright side that will give me more time to make sure the rest of our paperwork is done and correct. Please pray for her father and for their family, I know it has been very hard on them. Dustin's third employment letter is on it's way from Atlanta right now. We are praying that it will suffice so we can send it back to Georgia to visit the Secretary of State's office, be authenticated and mailed back to us. I am still struggling with my letter.

If any of you fellow adoptive bloggers have some knowledge on this I would be most appreciative. I am a home party consultant and we listed my income on our financial statement. Technically I am self-employed so would need a notarized letter from a CPA. I happen to have a friend who is a CPA and has already written a letter for me but it has to have the amount of money I made last year on it, which it does not. For her to enclose my income on the letter she would have to also attach a statment saying that her firm doesn't hold any legal responsiblity verifying the information disclosed, blah blah blah legal jargon blah blah blah. So my problem is what do I do about a letter? Do I just take that off the financial statement and write a letter of unemployment? My husband told me to contact the company, which I haven't done yet. So again any thoughts or anyone who has had to do this and has suggestions I would appreciate anything.

Our oldest son had his 11th birthday today, too too old. He's becoming such a young man :) The other day I asked him what he wanted for his birthday and he told me that he's been thinking about it for a couple weeks now and has really noticed all his blessings. He has already been given so much and doesn't really have anything he wants. My husband asked if he wanted to donate the money we would have spent on his birthday to something or someone else. My son researched a couple of sites and found a family adopting from Ghana that he wanted to give to as well as little goody 2 shoes. We bought him a t-shirt and a couple of necklaces, hopefully he will get them next week. He is very excited about them and about helping out other families adopting from Africa. We are so proud of him. Of course we still got him some stuff that he needed and liked and he got some other great presents from friends and family. He will also be going to the local arcade/game complex with a couple friends tomorrow to help celebrate. Overall I think he had a nice birthday that was low key but still good. We are so proud of him thinking about God and thinking about other people.

I have been thinking more about missions and praying about it. There has been no clear answer about it yet, so I continue to just wait and pray. God is working on something big, I just don't know what yet. Our family has signed up for crop walk this year. We are very excited about it and need to start getting sponsors. The money raised goes to feed people in our own community as well as around the world. I have been scared about asking people for money, it's just not a fun job, but I also know that there is no reason to be afraid when we are being the hands and feet of Jesus. You...me...we...can all make a difference!

Hope at least one thing in this post made you smile :)

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Haha.. my post have been the same! That's why I've avoided posting...!!!

You did make me smile (and laugh).

What a mature thing to do- you have a great 11 yr old!

jkseevers said...

great post. I'm kind of stumped about your employment letter... I also had to fill out a "self employed" letter. My CPA just put what I made last year... do you file your taxes with her? If so, she should have it on file. What's the big deal? (I mean from her perspective?) If you don't pay taxes on it, then I wouldn't write the letter... just do an unemployment letter. I will be praying that you get it all figured out soon!!
So, I know you switched programs... did you have to redo your homestudy? or just update it? Have you sent in your I600-A? Just wondering where you are in the whole journey. I'll be praying for you guys!

We are awaiting our fingerprinting appt. with the fed. govt. to say that we are eager would be an understatement. It's amazing how many hiccups there can be in this whole process. It'll all be worth it in the end though:)

Blessings!!
Katie
http://myfourwords.blogspot.com/

Bloggin' Robin said...

We will be praying for all of the paperwork to come togehter as only God can make it happen. I had to continually remind myself that all of these steps ultimately benefit the children by protecting them. Thank you again for orderingthe shirt. Linked your blog, We will be following your journey. I'll send you a link to the story about the boys' band. They love leading worship and God has faithfully provided the opportunities to play! Excited for your growing family!

Bloggin' Robin said...

PS - Our boys were so excited to see a picture of Dominic!!