We are the Snyder family and ... we are different

This is the story of our journey to our daughter in Ethiopia. God is preparing our family for her and preparing her heart to come home to her family. We chose the difficult road of trusting and obeying God. It is worth every step!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

In Africa


Our dossier is finally in Ethiopia!  I have been stalking our dossier since we got the official fedex tracking number and it arrived in Addis Ababa after traveling from Virginia to Newark, NJ (I thought it would never leave the United States) to Paris, France (where it hung out over the weekend) to a short stop in Dubais and now finally arriving on Africa soil.  We also got some papers from America World about entering the next "waiting" phase.  I have not had a chance to skim through read it all yet, but will do that sometime today.  I am just so excited to be to this stage after 8 months!

 Over the next few months we are really going to need some prayers.  We will need prayers during this waiting that we (and by we I really mean me) don't get consumed with this waiting.  We will need prayers for the finances to come through so that when we are ready to travel we will have funds in place for that.  We also need some prayers about the travel, Dustin and I are discussing (mostly me, he's pretty much done discussing) some different decisions we need to make about it since it is a two trip thing.  Pray for us to use this time to concentrate on Him, to do His good work and to glorify His name.

On a whole different note about adoption.  A friend of ours from church that has adopted twice posted a comment about our message on Orphan Sunday on my facebook to which my husband didn't understand.  During our talk on Sunday I had mentioned how being "paper" pregnant was indeed very much like being pregnant.  I still got crazy hormones where I cry at the drop of a hat, I still have ditzy prego brain where for some reason I have forgotten "everything" and then she mentioned that often times you still get post partum but now it's post adoption blues.  I was trying to explain it to Dustin, but did not do a very good job at it.  With both pregnancies I never really experienced postpartum (although I thought for sure I would the last time cuz I was a complete wreck during the whole pregnancy).  The best way I could describe "post adoption blues" is that you have been preparing for this event for so long that you almost don't know what to do now that it is actually here.  Plus it is so overwhelming going from what your family was to what it will now be forever once you bring your child home.  I also think that it isn't always what you expected either.  Even if you have prepared yourself for attachment issues, bonding issues and anything else you have read in a book you are never really prepared for it when you have to live it.  Anyone who is reading this that may have a better understanding of this please leave me a comment.  This is all really just what I think it is, I may be completely wrong.

1 comments:

jkseevers said...

Yeah, Megan!! So excited that your dossier made it safely to ET. This is seriously happening!! Can you believe it?!
I too feel like I'm pregnant, and I've been prego 4 times. I'm hoping this time I don't gain 40 lbs! :) It really is the up and downs of all our emotions. I'm not surprised that your hubby didn't really get it, not that I even know Dustin, but what I mean is that men have a totally different makeup, not to mention, they don't get pregnant, so how could they really feel what it feels like to BE pregnant, you know? I'm totally rambling.

Anyway, I understand...


On a side note, I called USCIS yesterday to find out the status of our I171-H... they mailed it on Monday!! Soo, it should be arriving hopefully today or tomorrow. Please be praying it gets here very soon so that I can get our dossier to AWAA by Monday, so that it can be mailed to ET on Friday of next week!

Crazy how 1 piece of paperwork can be so very important to the whole process.

Blessings!
Katie