We are the Snyder family and ... we are different

This is the story of our journey to our daughter in Ethiopia. God is preparing our family for her and preparing her heart to come home to her family. We chose the difficult road of trusting and obeying God. It is worth every step!

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

2011...oh what will you bring?


Christmas is over, the tree is put away and I don't think that ALL the goodies will ever get eaten.  It was a happy time but at the same time my heart still aches for the one who is missing.  Christian, 5 years old, wrote his list to Santa and at the bottom of his list was a Barbie for his sister.  It made my heart melt that he is also thinking about her.  As all our friends and family ask us about the adoption and when we might expect her all I can say is I hope she is here with us next Christmas, but there are no guarantees.  Sitting in the church Christmas Eve looking at all the families and all the little girls I dream of our little girl with a little red headband, white tights, black shoes and an adorable Christmas dress.  For those of you who know me you know how I am ALL about dressing up :)  It will be quite ironic if our little girl hates to wear dresses because I LOVE LOVE LOVE to wear them and will love to have someone new to buy them for (I don't think either of our boys would appreciate it if I tried to put a dress on them, lol).  Anyway, as we get ready for the new year I think about all the new things that happened this year and anticipate with much joy what God has in store for us in 2011.  I pray that there will be two trips to Ethiopia, the homecoming of our little girl and a closer relationship to God. 

A couple of posts ago I mentioned an article about Ethiopia adoptions and what's going on over there.  Well it seems that they are definitely cracking down because many of our families are not passing their court dates the first time around and some are even on court date #6 (please pray for those families).  The latest court dates for families who have received referrals are in March.  It's very disappointing for those families because there were no February dates assigned and that's just another month longer they have to wait.  The court date is only the first time you go and meet your child and they become legally yours, you still have to come home and wait for an embassy date before you can go back over and then FINALLY bring them home.  So families who got referrals in November are just getting a court date in March, that they may or may not pass first time around so won't be getting an embassy date till at least April if not May.  Oh that is such a long time to wait for your child.  Now here is the selfish reason I have tracked/obsessed over this in my mind:  if those families don't get to bring their children home till late spring then there won't be many referrals given out.  The transition home our agency has only holds so many children and the more children that are there the fewer new children can come in to be referred.  {sigh}  I think that the wait will be longer than I originally anticipated.  When I once "hoped" for a referral around Easter and to possibly be home by the rainy season reality is settling in that I just hope to have her next Christmas.  That may even be too idealistic.  It's okay though.  God has this perfect timing that I don't understand.  Why would I ever want to mess up the wonderful miracles He lays before us?  I will use this time to trust in Him, to do His work and to grow ever closer to Him but...my heart will still hurt for our little girl as we miss her birthday again, as we missed Christmas, as we will miss many many other things to come in 2011 without her.

Pray that all the paperwork for these families waiting for court gets submitted so their children can legally become theirs.  Pray that sickness will leave the transition homes so more children may be referred.  Pray that those families waiting for money will be blessed with what they need.  Pray that these children will be filled with God's love and the love that their families are waiting for them and crying tears over them.

3 comments:

Nate and Pam said...

I'm praying, Megan!!! I know your heart and I feel the same way. I hope and pray that our children will be home with us by next Christmas, but I am also aware of the fact that they might not be. It's hard to trust that God knows the perfect timing when our mommy hearts just want to have them home!!!! I'll be praying that God will give you a peace through the waiting!!! ~Pam~

Jodes and Boz said...

Praying with you, Megan. Though I'm still hopeful we can travel (together!?) in the SPRING! But as you said (which i loved!), 'Why would I ever want to mess up the wonderful miracles He lays before us?' His ways and timing are PERFECT.

Debb said...

Joining in this prayer chain! May God bless each little child with their forever families in a manner that helps them spend more time with their family and less time in an orphanage. BUT, as you so eloquently posted, all in His timing of wonderful miracles! Blessings to you!