We are the Snyder family and ... we are different

This is the story of our journey to our daughter in Ethiopia. God is preparing our family for her and preparing her heart to come home to her family. We chose the difficult road of trusting and obeying God. It is worth every step!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

New number!


Today we got the best number in the world....zero.  That's right folks we got our referral call today.   We got a referral for an adorable healthy four year old girl.  She is absolutely precious and already looks like she belongs in our family.  I'm going to interject with what a referral is for those of you who don't know adoptionese :)  After submitting your dossier (all the paperwork you toil over for months) you are put on the waiting list for a referral.  The referral is your child.  It's pictures, history, medical exams and all the other paperwork on your child.  At this time you can either accept or decline the referral.  Of course, we accepted and sent in our paperwork and check today.  Dustin said he was never so happy to empty out our bank account.  Although after the initial high he did think, "oh my gosh we don't have any money!"  Oh well the joy of our little girl combats all of that worry.  We are trusting that God will provide the rest of the funds for us to travel.  Now the question I've been getting is what's next.  Now we wait for a court date, which will be the first time we go to Ethiopia and when we actually get to meet her.  The soonest we could get a court date is March but it could be April or May before we get one too.  With all the changes in paperwork and policies in Ethiopia right now who knows how long it might take.  We will continue to revel in this moment until then.

I have to tell you how God has worked His perfect timing.  Dustin just got back in town last night after being gone since Monday, we are heading to Atlanta first thing in the morning and then he won't be back until later the following week.  We decided to keep the kids home from school today since we would be gone and since he would be gone for so long.  We just wanted to spend some time together as a family.  We did a little shopping, went out for lunch and when we got home I noticed I had two voicemails.  One was from our family coordinator at our agency.  Now for those of you who are waiting or have waited you know that when you are waiting for a referral there are only two reasons you get a call from the agency.  You are either getting your referral call or you're getting a bad news call.  I was anticipating the latter so if it wasn't the referral call I wouldn't be completely devastated.  Well as soon as I got on the line with her she said those amazing words, "this is your referral call".  My heart stopped briefly.  I started waving my arms to my family in the kitchen trying to tell them and listen to her at the same time.  She told me all about her and said she was sending an email with her pictures and info.  Good thing too because Dustin was asking me what she said and I had no idea, I couldn't focus on what she was saying at all.  We gathered the family and opened the email.   It was completely surreal.  Now isn't it amazing that our family was home at 2:00 in the afternoon on a Thursday so that we could all be together when we would see the newest member of our family? 

After we printed everything out, hugged, cried, hugged some more and kept looking with amazement at her picture I got some more phone calls.  It was actually quite hilarious because I was talking to people about Hearts at Home, bible study, and Scentsy minutes after this monumental news and they had no idea.  I was doing everything in my power to remain calm while answering their questions but could only focus on about half of what they were saying.  I'm surprised I could even talk to them at all but it's probably because I was still in shock.  The first few people I told I had to txt because I couldn't compose myself enough to call them without blubbering.  They wouldn't have been able to understand me through the tears :)  It took me a couple hours to compose myself and finally call my parents and other supporters.  The best news ever!

Now the next thing God revealed to me took me a little longer to remember.  In fact, I just remembered shortly before I started this post.  Several weeks ago some ladies on the yahoo group mentioned about writing down dates that you feel certain ways.  For instance if you have had a particularly sad day thinking about your child or felt led to pray for them or other things like that.  I thought that was pretty interesting so kept that in the back of my mind.  Well on January 5th I remember feeling especially emotional.  I was crying and praying for her, for us, for her family, for all the families waiting on paperwork, just praying.  In the paperwork we received today it says that she was brought to the transition home on January 5th.  God was letting a mother's heart across the world feel the pain of her child.  How awesome is our God!

The past few days have been filled with peace about waiting and about life in general.  Psalm 23 calmed my heart and was given to me a couple times.  I needed to prepare my heart for what God was about to bless us with.  I was so excited because we had moved up to 22 on the infant list, 9 on the 12 month list and 3 on the 3 years and up list.  I thought we were doing quite well.  I have been praying for a flood of referrals to come in the end of January and in February.  God provided a flood.  In fact a friend from church just asked me how it was going and I told her to pray for February.  She has been given some weird insight into our adoption and she came back with a response of "praying for February, she's going to be four years old."  She is the same person who kept telling me about having to switch countries when we were with Rwanda and we had to switch.  She is also the same one that said she had a good feeling about Ethiopia.  God has given her wisdom about our adoption, I love it :)

Please pray for our family.  Prayers that all the paperwork is in order.  Prayers that the court date will be soon.  Prayers that the money will come so we can travel and bring her home.  Pray that God prepares her heart for her new family and prepares each one of us.  Please pray for all the families that continue to wait, all the families going to Ethiopia next week for court and all the families who will be waiting for embassy dates.  Thank you Lord for all you have done.  We praise your heavenly name.

10 comments:

Mouseymom said...

Rejoicing immensely for your family!!!!

loved her picture... what a sweetie! cannot wait to meet her!

Mark and Wendy said...

so excited for you guys! What a great story! Can't wait for you to get a court date!

Brad and Tara said...

Yaaaay!!! Such and exciting day!!! So fun to get our referrals on the same day!!! Maybe we will travel together!!

Jennifer said...

A lovely day for your family - congratulations!!!

Anna Baker said...

Congratulations!!!!!! I can't wait to see her picture :)

jkseevers said...

Sooo excited for you, Megan! God is totally awesome, isn't He?!!

Blessings!
K

Ethiopia here we come! said...

THRILLED for you guys!! That is awesome news:)

Stephanie said...

Wow Megan!! God is awsome. I hope this day gives you lots of joy and patience for your wait!! Congrats, Mommy!!!

The Davidsons said...

Congratulations!!! So excited for you guys!!! Our little boy is four. I wonder if they are friends :)

Debb said...

Oh, my! God is so amazingly GOOD! LOVE your story! How you were all together to look at the pics together, and how about stirring your heart on Jan 5th! AWESOME! Praising God with you! May your court date bring you to meet her very soon! Blessings to you and your family! :)