We are the Snyder family and ... we are different

This is the story of our journey to our daughter in Ethiopia. God is preparing our family for her and preparing her heart to come home to her family. We chose the difficult road of trusting and obeying God. It is worth every step!

Friday, February 4, 2011

Care packages :)

Well now that we have gotten our referral I feel like I'm updating this blog all the time, that's probably a good thing because I wasn't doing a very good job of it the last couple of months.  So through our agency you can connect with other adopting families who are going to Ethiopia for court dates and embassy dates.  It's wonderful because not only does that mean you get to share in all of their excitement of being that much closer to bringing home their children and their experience there, but you also can find families to take care packages to your children.  There is a group leaving the last day of February and one of the families has been kind enough to take a photo consent form so they can email us back pictures of our little girl.  That is one of the best gifts EVER!  There is also a group travelling the middle of March and the third week of March.  I have found a family in each group to take care packages and photos to our daughter.  They are such a blessing to do this for us.  Of course I have been very eager to buy little girl things for W*** and headed to the mall and Target to search for some bargains.  I did find several things to send her in the packages as well as when she comes home.  Now it's a little harder to shop for a child when you have no idea what size she wears, but I figure they give us her height and weight so I should be able to guess off of that.  The real trick is finding shoes.  I bought a pair and hope that they fit her but only time will tell if they are the right size or not, it was a complete guess.  Each package has a pair of pants, one t-shirt, one long sleeve shirt, 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of underwear and a toy.  One package includes a pair of shoes, a toothbrush and toothpaste and a photo book of our family and our house.  The other package has a hard cover book and doll.  It's amazing how much you can fit into a gallon size ziploc bag.

As excited as I was to buy girl things I quickly realized that I have no idea what to do with a girl!  People who know me know that I am a girly girl who loves all things pink, sparkly and frilly.  Dresses for church are no problem.  The problem is dressing her for everyday play.  Unfortunately running around in taffeta and chiffon all day are not practical but I have no idea what else to buy.  Boys are so easy.  They don't change much from the time they are babies till they become old men.  Jeans, t-shirts, polos, sweatshirts and athletic gear are pretty much what you get with boys...easy.  Girls have so many variables, I thought that would be the fun part.  Looks like in the next few months of waiting I will have to explore that a little more and figure out what to do with her :)  Now toys are the opposite.  Boys have a huge range of toys while girls seem to have all the same stuff, there are variations but for the most part it's all the same.  Dolls, dress up or animals and it's all pink.  I love pink as much as the next person but I feel sorry for any girls who don't like it because there is little to chose from.

Real quick I need to say thank you to my friend Jen who is giving me a bunch of her girls' clothes.  Thank you to the Munn family for taking our photo release and the Druckenmiller and Anderson families for taking a care package as well.  We so greatly appreciate being able to connect to our little girl even if we can't be with her.

Ok enough rambling.  Here are some pics of the care packages that we will be sending off next week.







3 comments:

jkseevers said...

YEAH!! It's soo exciting for you to be at this point:) I'm soo glad that you'll be getting some more pics of her. That is priceless.

Praying for a very fast court date!

Blessings,
K

Nate and Pam said...

I'm sooooooooo excited that you get to start sending those precious packages to your sweet little girl!!!! ENJOY!!!! ~Pam~

Susan said...

It is so hard to put all the love you have been saving in a tiny ziploc bag. Very beautiful package. So excited for you daughter!!!! and you:)