We are the Snyder family and ... we are different

This is the story of our journey to our daughter in Ethiopia. God is preparing our family for her and preparing her heart to come home to her family. We chose the difficult road of trusting and obeying God. It is worth every step!

Friday, February 18, 2011

Fundraising

Well we have officially entered the fundraising portion of this adoption.  It's a phase that I have mulled over through this entire process because I didn't know if this is what God wants us to do or not.  To be quite honest I have been praying that there would be someone who would like to fundraise for us and ask people to donate money so that I don't have to and this week He provided such a person.  That is not to say that WE won't still be asking and doing fundraisers on our own, but it did help give me a little confirmation that I need to eat some humble pie and let God work it out.  Our first fundraiser is inspired by a couple different people.  Our missional mama group just got finished with selling cookies for Valentine's Day to benefit project rescue and send money to help get women and children out of sex slavery.  This group of normal moms sold over 60 dozen cookies and raised more than $1000 in a matter of 2 weeks.  WOW!  I am continually amazed at how God blesses this group and the ministries it gives to.  Anyway, I thought that surely we could do something like that for our adoption.  I thought about doing cookies because who doesn't love cookies but thought since they just did that maybe we should try something different.  My oldest son loves my eggrolls and I don't make them very often.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that I haven't made them for at least a year or two.  Needless to say that he and everyone else that loves my eggrolls really anticipate when I make them.  So that is our first fundraiser.  Eggrolls for Ethiopia:  a minimum donation of $15/dozen.  Fresh, homemade, delicious eggrolls that benefit a good cause.  I just decided to do this Tuesday this week and already have 35 orders.  I would like a minimum of at least 50 dozen but 100 dozen would be even better.  I am also hoping that I can talk to some stores and see if they will donate some of the supplies we need to help out with the overhead costs.  Eggrolls take a considerable bit more time and money than sugar cookies do, but they are something a little different.  Our oldest son has really gotten behind this and has been asking people at school, tae kwon do, and at church.  It's so cool to see him getting excited about this and wanting to help bring his little sister home.  It makes me a little teary just thinking about it.  There are several other ladies who have offered to help, the biggest help I need is actually making them.  I am so appreciative of the ladies in our Thursday night bible study and the Missional Mama group for volunteering.

Today we just got an email from our agency telling us about a program that they have reinstated called the Eternal Family Program.  People can donate a tax deductible gift to you through our agency.  They even provide you with a sample letter and form to get started.  Again just a little confirmation that this is what we are supposed to be doing.  Now here is a question I am going to pose that I've really been struggling with in light of this new fundraising phase.  We have been giving generously through this entire process to other people who are adopting and some other ministries in general.  Now that we are having to ask for money ourselves should we still be giving like we have been?  I feel like God has really blessed us because of our blessing others, but at the same time I don't know if I feel right about asking for money when we are giving ours away.  I don't want to hoard the money, but I do feel like the only reason we are asking for it is because we really don't have it.  So any advice would be much appreciate cause I just don't get it.  I think I know the answer but haven't accepted it yet.

The end of February is starting to approach and we will have had our referral for one month as of the 27th.  I am very excited for the end of the month because I know that we will be getting our first monthly update about our little girl and new picture.  Our first care package will also be delivered the first week of March so I'm excited for her to get that and for us to get some more pictures of her.  I can't wait!  Just think of how much you anticipate getting those ultrasounds or getting those first pictures back from the photographer.  This anticipation is heightened even more because it is the only thing we have.  We don't have a growing belly or a baby to hold and look at, we only have 3 pictures of a little girl we have never held, never heard speak or never smelled the sweet scent of.  Yet we still love her.  If you do not believe in God, if you do not believe in a Father who loves you, if you do not believe you can have a relationship with someone you can't see or touch, than you don't believe in adoption and you don't believe that we could love this little girl already.  God's love for you is just as real as our love for our daughter.

2 comments:

Mel said...

Megan, let me know if you need any help with the eggrolls too!! I can help deliver in the mornings, or evenings if you need help... or help with making them... whatever!! Just let me know!! Praying for your family!! :)

Mandi said...

We are so excited for you, Dustin, and your boys that you are so close to bringing your daughter/sister home soon. Your boys sound like they are incredible in their part of this journey. As for the giving and receiving money. Remember that for all things there is a season. There is a season to give and a season to receive. I think that right now is your season to receive. The season will change and it will be your season to give again sometime. I know that what you receive is received in love and with great gratitude.