We are the Snyder family and ... we are different

This is the story of our journey to our daughter in Ethiopia. God is preparing our family for her and preparing her heart to come home to her family. We chose the difficult road of trusting and obeying God. It is worth every step!

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Random Ramblings :)

This is going to be an extremely random post with many facets to it because it seems like there has been a lot going on lately.  Anyway, let's go backwards in chronological order starting with another fundraiser today.  My best friend's mom goes to the same church that we do and thought that after the egg roll fundraiser she could help with a salsa fundraiser.  She makes excellent salsa and it's quite economical and easy to make.  During the Sunday school hour, before and after service we sold the salsa for $5 and $10.  When she approached me about this I thought it was so wonderful for her to help but also thought that we could use the money for something else besides our adoption travel expenses.  It's still very hard for me to accept that and I feel like we're always in front of the church asking for money.  Now granted when we are raising money it is almost never for us, but I don't want our congregation to moan everytime they see us.  Back to the salsa, we decided to use the money to buy donations for the orphanages.  We haven't decided if we are going to buy things here or take it with us and buy formula once we get there, but it will certainly be put to good use.  We were thinking that it would make about $100 (it wasn't going to be as big as the egg rolls) and ended up with $180!  God is so good and kind to us and His love is abundant!  Praise be to Him!

This weekend was the Hearts at Home convention in Normal, Illinois.  It's a Christian moms conference that houses about 4500 moms over a 2 day period of time.  Last year was the first time I've gone and I just loved it!  The conference has amazing speakers, workshops and worship.  If you add in a group of girlfriends and good food it's a perfect weekend.  There were several ladies from our church that went for the first time this year and lots from our area that went.  Our group was 4 of us because we went for 2 days and 2 nights where most just went for one.  This weekend happens to fall on my birthday every year as well which is sort of bittersweet for me.  I love having this girlfriend/mom weekend but also miss being with my family for my birthday.  During the conference I heard so many wonderful ideas and practical solutions to parenting and marital problems.  There seemed to be one overlying theme for the workshops that I went to though...relax!  I am definitely a type A extrovert personality but not a perfectionist, with that said I still have a tendency to struggle with putting too much on my plate and then getting stressed out about it.  When I get stressed out I yell and get angry so much more than any other time.  My poor family :(  This weekend reminded me that "just because you are able does not mean that you should".  It also reminded me that not everything has to be "perfect".  I know what you're thinking, "didn't she just say she;s not a perfectionist?"  I am not a perfectionist but I am very competitive with myself and others so have a tendency to be an over achiever or at least want to be an over achiever.  Jill Savage also reminded me that saying no to things is okay, just say "I don't think I can give that my best right now".  I love that!  If you hear me say that to you it's not because I don't want to help but because I really do want to be able to give my best to whatever project I'm on and to my family.  Too often my family gets "left" with whatever I have left after I have given to everyone else and all my other commitments, they deserve so much more than that.  With this adoption I have already warned people that I am cleaning my plate next year and that I will not be volunteering in nearly as many capacities as I have in the past.  Thank you to Hearts at Home for making me feel better about this and giving me tools to implement it.  Now at H@H I took my camera for some girls' weekend pics and of course took none, oh well.  The girls and I had lots of fun and probably laughed more than we have in a long long time.  We also talked about some really deep theological issues and got real with each other.  Overall it really was a great weekend.

The morning we left for H@H Dustin and I had to go to Iowa City for our travel vaccines.  We had already gotten our Hepatitis A and B shots plus the menningitis shot in town but there were a couple that we had to go to the travel clinic for.  Dustin and I drove up separately because I had about 7 errands to run on the way there and he had to drive over to the qca afterwards.  We initially thought we were getting just the yellow fever shot and walked out getting 4 and 5 shots.  Dustin got one extra shot because he decided to go ahead and get the flu shot where I decided to walk on the wild side and opt out ;)  The doctor talked to us for a lengthy time about all the different things we needed so we got yellow fever, typhoid, polio and tetanus.  Let me just say that a couple of those really HURT.  In fact, my arms still hurt some today and that was 4 days ago.  Plus Friday and/or Saturday we were both having back pain, a little achiness and some joint discomfort.  Good thing once we get these done we'll be good for quite a while.  If you're doing the math I ended up with 7 shots and Dustin got 8, ouch!

The last week or two my poor husband has been very irritated with my sleeping habits.  I have been waking up between 3:00-4:30 EVERY morning, without being able to go back to sleep.  Today on the yahoo group a couple of other people listed the exact same thing, then more people added to that and one family's Ethiopian son was also doing it.  We have all been called to intercessory prayer for what's going on in Ethiopia with adoptions lately.  The agency in Ethiopia that is in charge of writing all the letters for adoptions is doing some cut backs on processing them and other agencies are doing investigations into unethical adoption practices.  This can be very scary news in the adoption world because it may mean that wait times increase and that the country's program could even shut down.  You just never know the world of international adoption.  Many many people have been praying about this situation and apparently many of us have been praying at the same time early in the morning.  I told Dustin that he was going to have to take it up with God about this whole sleeping thing, lol :)  With this recent news we have been worried about the families in Ethiopia right now for their court dates.  I prayed to God for these families to pass court so that everyone could see His faithfulness to us and so people would stop worrying about it.  Not that God needs to prove His love for us but sometimes people just need a miracle or reminder and I thought that this could be it.  They passed!  Praise the God of the universe that He would think so much of us to give us this hope.  Amen!

Thank you to all the families who have blessed us by taking care packages and sending us photos.  We have gotten new photos 3 weeks in a row, 2 from other families.  They have meant the world to us :)  We are excited to have received our first photo consent to take with us and pass this blessing on to other families.  I will close with this...WE ARE LEAVING FOR ETHIOPIA 2 WEEKS FROM THIS FRIDAY!  just a little excited about seeing our little girl.

1 comments:

Debb said...

2 WEEKS AND COUNTING!!!......